Search This Blog

Monday, January 4, 2016

Blog 12: Holiday Project Update


This is me as a librarian except I don't wear glasses. But I do have the "I am the librarian, and I will not take your sass" look down.

1.  It is important to consistently work on your senior project, whether it is break or we are in school.  What did you do over the break with your senior project?

Unfortunately, I had a family emergency that occupied most of my time during the break. However, I was able to fit in a few things to my schedule. For one I still went to the library to volunteer on Thursday. I was also able to finish my book, the Red Tent by Anita Diamant, about Dinah the sister of Joseph King of dreams. I like the idea that there are more to mythology and lore than just Celtic and this was a perfect example. There was another book, a book of fairy tails, but I only got to read a few chapters over the past two weeks. 

2.  What was the most important thing you learned from what you did, and why?  What was the source of what you learned?

It's not so much something that I learned than it is something that I realized. There are two things. First, I really appreciate the roles of woman in stories, particularly in fairy tales. You can tell a lot about when and where the story was created by how the woman are treated. For example, in older Celtic lore the woman are portrayed as wise and beautiful. The husband is foolish and makes mistakes while the woman come up with clever schemes and solutions. This is a clear sign that when this story was created it was during a matriarchy. The woman were mostly in charge and the men had lesser jobs like hunting and fighting. 
The second thing that I realized is that I really want to know how an author's mind can affect the way they tell/ write a story. While english teachers will usually say that there is no proof that stories are autobiographical  I believe there has to be a connection. When an author writes a story they usually write what they know, or something they heard or maybe even something they wished had happened to themselves. And if an author does manage to separate themselves from a story completely, I wonder if they live more in their own stories than in the real world. It's all really interesting stuff and I think I want to use it in my lesson #2


3.  Your third interview will be a 10 question interview related to possible answers for your EQ. Who do you plan to talk to and why?
I think I want to talk to a librarian or a book critic or just another lover of books. I don't know for sure yet but I want it to be someone who really likes to look deeper into authors and their meanings. I want a second opinion on my answers. I want to know if what I am thinking is just the thoughts of a random book lover or if there are other people with theories like mine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment