Search This Blog

Thursday, January 21, 2016

Mentorship; Level Up!

  My beautiful creation, the graphic novel section

Today was a really cool day at the library. When I got there, I noticed that there weren't any carts of books to shelve so I wandered around trying to find a librarian to ask what to do. I found one and when I asked, he decided to let me take on the relocating of a section. It probably sounds lame, but it was actually really cool for me.

The graphic novel section had been getting sort of out of control recently. We were running out of space on the designated shelves and the books were suffering for it. It hurt just looking at them all smushed together and unorganized, most of the time almost falling off the shelf. So the library decided they needed to be moved, and then I was given the task of doing it. I was to relocate them to the front of the children's section and set up the displays. (the books that interest the kids so that they browse)

Let me tell you, it was tough work. It was two hours of carrying books, squats, organizing, reorganizing, and squatting more. My back aches, my eyes feel dry and my legs are sore. But it was worth it because the shelf looks awesome and I am proud of myself.

Besides that it was a pretty quiet day at the library. This has probably been the calmest Thursday I have ever worked. Usually there are kids running around or being tutored or even just making piles of books that I will eventually need to reshelve. But as you can see in the photo below, it was nearly empty.

The empty Thursday

No comments:

Post a Comment