Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 28, 2015

NaNoWriMo Kick starter



This has probably been one of my favorite experiences ever. Honestly, I am still pumped about how tonight went. Tonight was the kick starter for Nanowrimo at the Upland Library. It pretty much went down like this:

I walked into the library and my first thought was "I don't have a library card here." A troubling thought, I know. But I was already going to be late so I just went on ahead and found the conference room. When I walked in I was immediately greeted by Jennifer, the one who put this all together. I knew this was gonna be amazing instantly because the first thing she noticed about me were my buttons on my bag and she started getting really excited. That's when I noticed her Agent Carter hat and Captain America bear. I was practically ready to squeal because I knew we were going to have a nerd bond, but I held it together and served myself some cookies and crackers instead.


 This what was going on in my head for the majority of the kick starter.

Fast forward to when the rest of the party got there. There were around 15 of us in total and it ranged from people with 8 years of NaNoWriMo experience to people who learned about it about 2 hours prior. We went around the room telling our stories of how we came upon NaNoWriMo and what we wanted to accomplish. I guess we all felt pretty comfortable because that took up the rest of the time. My fellow writers are absolutely amazing. There are book publishers and cosplayers, there are actors and video game designers. Some of them travel around the world on a regular basis and some of them  name their children after my favorite book characters. While we talked we gave each other advice and book resources. It was a dream finding all of these great websites and books, because I knew that they would actually be focused on what I am trying to find. I have enough recommendations to last me a few months of research check.



The lovely folks from my first meeting 

I was the last to tell my story and I happily explained to them my experience so far and the hopes I had for myself as well as for the senior project. They all oohed and ahhed at the right moments and it felt rather lovely to be surrounded by so many people who really understood my passions. We exchanged numbers and email addresses and packed up our complimentary coffee mugs and were promptly kicked out of the library as we were pushing the closing time.

There will be plenty more meet ups in the future and I am absolutely ecstatic to be apart of this. There are no words to describe the giddiness in my rambling on the way home. (Well, there probably are but...) I could probably write my entire 50k just trying to describe this experience. (But I won't.)

So that concludes my first 2 hours of independent component, I can't wait for what's next.


No comments:

Post a Comment